The Good Old Days - Jolly Boys With Shotguns.

Anything else goes in here...
Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

The Good Old Days - Jolly Boys With Shotguns.

Post by Westyeltz » 24 Jan 2012, 12:11

Early Saturday mornings these days are usually spent swimming at our local leisure centre with my son, and occasionally I get into a conversation with someone (People collecting? Me? :) ) about football - Burton and Gresley suporters with fond memories of our once glorious club.

This weeks discussion involved a very pleasant chap whom I speak to reguarly, who reckoned that he'd been to The Grove with Burton Albion within the last 5 - 6 years for a Boxing Day / New Years Day match.
I've lived here for nearly 12 years now and don't recall playing Burton in either the league or the cup in that time.

Can anyone enlighten me of the true facts. I think I'm right as the reciprocal visits to this parish usually involved Jolly Boys with shotguns ;)

Chas??

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Re: The Good Old Days - Jolly Boys With Shotguns.

Post by HalesowenHarry » 24 Jan 2012, 13:52

no, they're mistaken. Although it may seem like the last 5-6 years as doesn't time stand still up there!

27th December 1999 was the last occasion. A 2-1 victory to the Yeltz courtesy of an own goal and good old Ade Cooper in front of 1,084.
Team was 1 McDonnell, 2 Crisp, 3 Owen 4 Wood, 5 Lloyd, 6 Collins, 7 Darren Wright, 8 Payne, 9 Gennard, 10 Smith, 11 Cooper. Subs 12 Cartwright, 14 Brown, 15 O'Donovan

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 24 Jan 2012, 16:51

Westy, you can search our matches on-line :
http://www.ht-fc.com/history/match-database.html

http://www.ht-fc.com/component/content/ ... ?task=view

line-ups etc can be provided as required

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 24 Jan 2012, 18:46

Thanks Chas. It looks brilliant.

My mate at the swimming pool is going to have one hell of a shock when I tell him it was 1999!!

Thanks again.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 27 Jan 2012, 14:44

In the 4 meetings since that Boxing day game we have only beaten them once. That particular game was probably one of the best Town performances i can ever remember. The 4-2 victory at thier place was well deserved against a very strong side. Seem to remember the late Paul Birch having a great game. Clough senior was in attendance to support his manager son, how he must have been impressed with our style of football.