Senior Cups, worth the bother?

Anything else goes in here...
andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Senior Cups, worth the bother?

Post by andy » 10 Dec 2011, 19:21

Over the past few years like many others i have become very disillusioned with Senior Cup games. No clubs appear to be even vaguely interested in them, fielding as weaker teams as thier squad will allow and hoping for no injuries. In the current financial climate fans are not prepared to pay to watch and clubs must lose money hand over fist, especially as they are all played under floodlights. Looking at the attendances of all the Southern league teams games in these competitions this season (sad me!) the question really must be why bother? In midweek Bishop Cleeve from our division got the plum tie against Bristol Rovers in thier local cup so the fans turned out in thier droves, well TWENTY TWO of them anyway. Hardly any team top a hundred so is it time they should be scrapped? Thoughts?

yeltzdan
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Senior Cups, worth the bother?

Post by yeltzdan » 10 Dec 2011, 20:44

I could quite happily live the rest of my life knowing that there is no chance of a game against Stourport Swifts on a freezing January night in the World's Most Pointless Cup Competion a.k.a the Worcestershire Senior Cup. I do quite like the Birmingham Senior Cup though. There's always the chance of a decent tie in that and we did get back our biggest crowd of the season so far in the Wolves game. So, in answer to your question: WSC = No, BSC = Yes.

Pantverdant

Post by Pantverdant » 16 Dec 2011, 23:17

Let's face it the Worcestershire Senior Cup ,given our pathetic performance in knock out association
football,is the only real chance of silverware come May.I remember happy late Spring nights spent
watching the Yeltz at Common Road,Evesham lifting the WSC and having a decent following.
It's a bit like Birmingham City lifting the old Leyland-DAF Cup it generates interest in dark days
for Halesowen Town.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 18 Dec 2011, 18:43

Pantverdant wrote:Let's face it the Worcestershire Senior Cup ,given our pathetic performance in knock out association
football,is the only real chance of silverware come May.I remember happy late Spring nights spent
watching the Yeltz at Common Road,Evesham lifting the WSC and having a decent following.
It's a bit like Birmingham City lifting the old Leyland-DAF Cup it generates interest in dark days
for Halesowen Town.
I think that's possibly half the problem. I went to both Blues' 'minor' cup finals against Tranmere and Carlisle, but they were at WEMBLEY. Our local cups don't even have a special venue for the final anymore. The BSC used to have the final at a league ground yet doesn't seem to now. As you say we end up at home or at the likes of Evesham, Studley, Moor Green or Sutton, the best we can hope for is another trip to Kiddy.