Play Offs

Anything else goes in here...
andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Play Offs

Post by andy » 20 May 2017, 13:45

We are at the that time of year again. The dreaded, unfair, play offs. I can't be the only one who hates the injustice of them, with 3rd placed teams having no advantage over 6th placed teams. The higher placed teams starting with goals advantage may be one way but i really like the Scottish format. Champions up automatically. Then 4th plays 3rd for the right to play 2nd. Then the winner of that plays the next to bottom in the league above. That way the higher up you finish the less games you have to win. Fairer all round and about time England adopted something similar. I would like to see the top 2 go up automatically, then 5th travel to 4th for a one off match, the winner travel to 3rd for a one off match and the winner of that travel to 3rd bottom in the league above for a one off match. And non of this Wembley crap either, it's hardly a great achievement! Thoughts?

Poll
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Play Offs

Post by Poll » 20 May 2017, 16:50

Completely agree.

It'll never happen though, as the English professional leagues only care about money rather than having a fair system. They rather guarantee one home game each than care about recognising performance.

I also like the Scottish system a lot, which is much much better.

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 20 May 2017, 23:19

What i don't like is that the team finishing sixth gets a day out at Wembley and a big shiny trophy, probably along with an open top bus ride and a big wodge of TV cash whilst the second place team gets stuff all.
As was the case today with Millwall who finished 13 points behind Bolton.
Not good.
I'd ring in to complain to Brother Baker on 5Live but he wouldn't care! ::)

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 21 May 2017, 09:27

I think you're both spot on. Money is the be all and end all in football these days. And Westy you're right about the trophy, its just crazy.

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 21 May 2017, 17:04

They should get the same as the winner of Fantasy Island! ;)

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KenR » 21 May 2017, 20:18

they shoukd scrap the play-offs altogether and just promote the top three, but as its been pointed out, its money , mainly from television. However if they are going to award something similar to the Fantasy Island winners' prize, then they should award a "George" , which is just as worthless.

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 22 May 2017, 07:10

I agree with much of the above but some of these matches provide thrilling viewing for the neutral spectators. Take those two last week that ended 6-5 with winners in the last minutes.