Gordon Field RIP

Discussion regarding Ex-Yeltz-Players and where they are now...
Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Gordon Field RIP

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 29 Aug 2022, 08:31

I have been given the very sad news that former Halesowen Town player Gordon Field has passed away after illness. Gordon was a tenacious, fully committed left back and loyal club servant. He made his debut on 26th March, 1960 in a 3-1 away win at Bedworth. He went on to make a total of 330 starting appearances and was a regular in our 1960s successful and entertaining teams. He was in the side that triumphed at Kidderminster Harriers to win the Worcestershire Senior Cup in May 1962. In the 1970s Gordon, alongside Roger Charlesworth, managed the first team.
1967-68 team photo Tony Cottrill, Henry Crampton, Gary Brown, Alan Parsons, Gordon Field, Dave Culwick, Pat McGrath, Bob Taylor, Bobby Anderson, Alan Kimberley, Alan Fullwood.
My thoughts are with Gordon’s family and friends and may he rest in peace
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Gordon Field RIP

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 29 Aug 2022, 09:40

Gordon’s sons Chris and Steve both played for Halesowen Town too.

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 29 Aug 2022, 12:02

As Gordon’s father Frederick played a game for Halesowen after the war (he had played for the British Army team and was offered terms by Blackpool) the family is possibly unique in Halesowen history having 3 generations play for us.
More personally, Gordon was a neighbour and friend for almost 30 years. I find others’ descriptions of his playing days somewhat at odds with the gentle caring man that that I knew and will greatly miss.

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 29 Aug 2022, 12:14

Noggin wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 12:02
As Gordon’s father Frederick played a game for Halesowen after the war (he had played for the British Army team and was offered terms by Blackpool) the family is possibly unique in Halesowen history having 3 generations play for us.
More personally, Gordon was a neighbour and friend for almost 30 years. I find others’ descriptions of his playing days somewhat at odds with the gentle caring man that that I knew and will greatly miss.

This could be the match in which Gordon's father played
19-Oct-46 HEREFORD RES H 1 1 JONES E BUNCH FIELD HACKETT JONES COOK GOODISON# FEREDAY LOWE* HUGHES HINETT