Peter Sturgess

Discussion regarding Ex-Yeltz-Players and where they are now...
Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Peter Sturgess

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 10 Jul 2021, 11:56

Today, in a newspaper feature on Gareth Southgate, Peter Sturgess is mentioned as one of the FA’s staff and takes the ages 6-11 coaching programme.
https://www.thefa.com/news/2014/Apr/06/ ... -talksport
A Peter Sturgess played in the late 1980s at The Grove and they could be one and the same?
Back Row- Fred Birch (Trainer), Aitch Crampton (Coach), Sean Flynn, John Rhodes, Michael Guest, Neil Stephenson, Nicky Adams, Malcolm Hazlewood (captain), Peter Sturgess, Noel Orbell, Barry Wyle (physio).
Front Row- Lee Joinson, Ray Anslow, Steve Morrall, Mark Penn, Stan Jones, Paul Joinson, Richard Hancox, Stuart Cash.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Peter Sturgess

Post by DJ » 10 Jul 2021, 23:21

In 2016 Pete Vallance wrote an article in the Applied Coaching Research Journal about Pete Sturgess, the FA’s National Lead Coach for 5–11 year olds, to understand his personal journey, demonstrating how mentoring and experiential learning influenced his development as an elite coach.
"As a talented young footballer, Pete Sturgess quickly rose through his local clubs, playing county standard for Staffordshire, then Football Combination league for Oxford, before joining several non-league teams such as Halesowen Town and twice playing in the first round of the FA Cup. At the age of 35 he began to transition into coaching at Rushall FC, recalling that 'whilst still playing, I wanted to put on the kind of sessions that I wanted as a player, even though I was the coach'. This suggests that his experience as a participant influenced the decisions he made later in his coaching style and strategy. When reflecting on his strengths as a coach, Sturgess admits that, 'if I’ve got a choice between technical detail and enjoyment, I still choose enjoyment' ".