Dave Culwick

Discussion regarding Ex-Yeltz-Players and where they are now...
steveculwick
Yeltz Forum Member

Dave Culwick

Post by steveculwick » 01 Nov 2020, 22:32

I wanted to reach out to the Halesowen Town faithful as my Dad played under Harry Rudge in the late 50's/ early 60's. I just wondered if anyone has any old photo's of the team from that time? It would be great if anyone had anything or could point me in the direction of any information from that period. My Dad has been suffering from dementia for a few years now, but still in good spirits and we frequently talk about the days when he was proud to wear the Halesowen Town shirt.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Dave Culwick

Post by YeltzDoc » 01 Nov 2020, 22:57

Tell your dad that he’s often mentioned on here as one of the greats of that era.
Chas will come on and give the full details. I’m sure he will have pictures too.

steveculwick
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by steveculwick » 02 Nov 2020, 08:56

I'll certainly pass that on. It means a lot.

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 02 Nov 2020, 09:30

Steve your Dad was not only a great of that era but also, along with Mel Adams from the same period, an all time great and would easily be in my all time Halesowen Town FC XI. I have details including photos and will get back to you, please bear with me while I find them out.
Meanwhile, others on here may be able to let Steve know if Dave is featured in the recently issued Yeltzmen and direct him to where he can obtain it.

Steve, on Facebook there is a Yeltz Nostalgia group which you could look at and join. It’s not very active these days but a scroll through will find a few mentions of your Dad. The Town were a very entertaining side when he was playing and gave us so much pleasure. I’m sorry to see that he is now not well.

steveculwick
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by steveculwick » 02 Nov 2020, 11:56

That's great. I really appreciate your responses and it means a lot. My Mom has shown him the posts that I've found where he gets a mention and he remembers all the names. Whilst Dave was diagnosed with Dementia around 6 years ago, he remains on the whole in good spirits, driving my Mom mad with little break in the continual football on the TV! Thanks again.

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 25 Nov 2020, 15:17

Ben and Matt’s Yeltzmen book (ref. Bullock B. & Ponter M. (2020): Yeltzmen – A History of Halesowen Town FC 1873-2020 p. 66) includes the following paragraphs on Dave Culwick in a chapter on the period 1958-79:
“Their greatest achievement came in 1962 when Halesowen won the Worcestershire Senior Cup for the second time. Halesowen’s path to the final included wins over local rivals Brierley Hill Alliance and Stourbr*dge. The final against Kidderminster Harriers was held at the Grove in May 1962. Billy Hargreaves and Ron Dugmore put the Yeltz two up after only nine minutes, but the Harriers clawed their way back into the game to level the scores. With the final result at 2-2, a replay was required. Despite both sides having chances, there was no score at the break. In the second half, a goal from Alan Parsons and two from Billy Hargreaves secured a 3-1 victory, the Kidderminster consolation coming in the dying moments. Halesowen were once again Worcestershire Senior Cup champions.

One of the most important players in that final was half-back Dave Culwick. After joining from Walsall, he made his debut in a game against Wolves ‘A’ in 1959. He quickly became a favourite amongst the fans, owing to his large stature and physical playing style. He played for the Yeltz until 1971, his final game a 3-0 loss at home to Bromsgrove Rovers. Halesowen had plenty of other skilful players in the early 1960s: Johnny O’Brien, left winger 1961-62; Alec Wood, centre forward 1962-70; Alan Parsons, winger 1957-68; Mel Adams, half-back 1961-62, 63-65 & 72-74; and Stan Purvis, half-back 1957-66.

Halesowen squad for the Worcs. Senior Cup final replay against Kidderminster Harriers, May 1962: 1) Albert Farrow 2) Derek Hall 3) Gordon Field 4) Stan Purvis 5) Dave Culwick 6) Mel Adams 7) Sam Roberts 8) Alan Parsons 9) Billy Hargreaves 10) Ron Dugmore 11) Johnny O’Brien.”